Why I didn’t do this to start with, I’ll never know. But, to make the new and improved gloves, I traced the pair of gloves to be worn by the live action character and worked out the pattern for the thumb. I reduced that using my scanner copy machine to 18.75% of the original. To get there with my scanner I had to reduce it to 25% (as small as it would go) and then reduce that to 75%. I then cut all of the pieces out of very fine leather.
I spent about ten hours sewing the little pieces together using a tiny blanket stitch for everything but the thumb joining and made up a special twisted thread embroidery stitch to make mock pleats on the back because real pleats were too thick.