The live action character will be wearing black leather gloves. I’ve made gloves for the puppet that cover the wire hands directly since they will not need to be removed. I adapted the glove pattern that I use for my skeleton dolls for this project. To fit my puppet I shrunk the pattern to 65% of the original and made a few small adjustments.
I’ve printed the pattern on card stock and cut it out. Then I traced it on the reverse side of the leather with a sharpie. This leather has a grey back which makes the lines easy to see. The one inch squares on the cutting mat give you an impression of the scale.
I’ve sewn all of the tiny pieces together here with a very small blanket stitch, except for the seam where the thumb connects with the palm where I used a back stitch on the inside.
Here is the completed glove, palm side up. I’ve sewn all of the fingers together using the tiny blanket stitch.
The back of the gloved puppet hand.
Here I’ve photographed the puppet hand in mine to show scale. The skin of my fingertips is roughed up from being pricked so many times by the needle. I bleed for my art. Literally.
I’m very pleased by how the gloves look, but unfortunately they are about 1/8th inch too wide. Which may not seem like much, but it’s enough to make the puppet look awkward. So, I’ll be changing the pattern and making a new pair. I’ll share my results next Wednesday.